Friday, January 20, 2017

First Week in Ireland

   I made it! My first day was pretty normal, got off the plane, unpacked and then napped. It was so nice having a group from the college come and pick us up from the airport. As orientation started, the days got more and more busy. Each day, there are different things we are supposed to go to just so we get accustomed to the college and it's ways. The international population is quite big here and I only hear positive comments about this school and how well they work with international students.



   My second day here, jet lag caught up with me and I ended up missing a couple days of orientation. I was emailing the international office the whole time and they were more than helpful! Tonight is our first international party at one of the clubs on campus-I hear it's a lot of craic (fun). Tomorrow I will be hopping on the bus the campus has arranged and go into the city. There I will go to the local milk market and shopping centres to get bed clothes, towels, groceries and anything else I may need. One important thing to remember if you come here, Irish stores do not give out bags with their groceries like they do in America, so be sure to bring your own!

   Today, I signed up for the International Society and requested membership in the archery club and the skydiving club. This college has a million different clubs and societies you are able to join and they do loads of fun activities! The city is quite small, but there are tons of little shops you are able to go into, all which are very reasonably priced. There are buses that go to the city quite regularly and it's very easy to catch one on campus. There are also various stores within walking distance of the campus that will come in handy as well.



   This weekend, I am signing up for my classes, however, they will not be made final for another two weeks. This allows international students to make sure the classes they chose work well in their schedule and are the classes they were expecting. The classes do not meet every day, which is weird for students at Upper Iowa University, but it's all part of the experience! I cannot wait to get going with my semester and have a grand time!

No comments:

Post a Comment